NewFilmmakers Los Angeles (NFMLA) is a non-profit 501(c) 3 organization designed to showcase innovative works by emerging filmmakers from around the world, providing the Los Angeles community of entertainment professionals and film goers with a constant surge of monthly screening events. NFMLA provides a forum where filmmakers can be recognized for their contributions, have open audience discussions about their projects and connect with industry professionals for insight on distribution, production, acquisition and representation.
With the goal of showcasing, supporting and connecting emerging filmmakers, NFMLA rapidly expanded to become much more than a monthly film festival. NFMLA regularly partners with organizations, companies, and film schools like SAG-AFTRA, the Producer’s Guild, Film Independent, Women in Film, Disney, Sony, DreamWorks, HBO, 21st Century Fox, USC, UCLA, MovieMaker Magazine, Variety, FilmLA, the City of Los Angeles, foreign consulates, and more to host an array of annual programs, workshops, panels, competitions, and learning and networking opportunities.
- NFMLA Monthly Film Festival – NFMLA’s core program is its monthly film festival. Each festival presents screenings of shorts, documentaries and feature films that have been submitted from all over the world. All of the programs are followed by a Q&A with each filmmaker. The program also offers a special reception so the audience can meet the filmmakers and incredible talent involved, while also networking with industry professionals.
- InFocus Series – NFMLA’s InFocus diversity initiative seeks to combat the lack of diversity in the film industry by giving underrepresented groups of filmmakers (i.e. race, gender, sexual identity, region and socioeconomic background) the opportunity to showcase their work on a large, public platform during our monthly festival.
- On Location: The Los Angeles Video Project – NFMLA’s On Location: The Los Angeles Video Project is a community outreach initiative that celebrates and enlists LA’s remarkable pool of filmmakers. By engaging these storytellers to act and serve as Ambassadors of LA, NFMLA is able to share what these artists call their LA with the world; an insider perspective into this diverse city and its neighborhoods.
- DocuSlate – The program dedicates an entire day of programming focused on documentary filmmaking that represents new stories and unique voices from around the globe.
- Best of NFMLA Awards – Each year, NFMLA presents awards for the best films shown in the previous year’s NFMLA Monthly Film Festivals at an exclusive gala event.
- Stage 5 (On-Camera Interview Series) – All filmmakers featured in each NFMLA Monthly Film Festival are invited to participate in on-camera interviews published by MovieMaker Magazine.
- Special Events, Programs, and Cine Sessions – Year round, NFMLA partners with universities, high schools, studios, guilds, government entities and others to host a wide variety of educational programs and special opportunities for emerging storytellers and aspiring film professionals.