NewFilmmakers Los Angeles is excited to invite you to create a short film for our 2019 program of short films that highlight the very best of Los Angeles!
On Location: The Los Angeles Video Project is a community outreach multimedia program that celebrates and enlists LA’s remarkable pool of filmmakers. By engaging these creative members of the Los Angeles community to act and serve as Ambassadors of LA, NewFilmmakers Los Angeles (NFMLA), along with the support of the City of Los Angeles, is able to share what these artists call their LA; an insider perspective into this diverse, cosmopolitan city and its neighborhoods.
Tell us your story in a narrative, documentary, commercial or animation format in a way that positively highlights Los Angeles to the rest of the world.
One (1) overall Grand Prize Winner for the video that most creatively highlights Los Angeles to the world through unique storytelling:
Two (2) 1st Place Prize Winners (one from each category):
Two (2) Audience Award Winners (one from each category):
All selected videos will be screened at the red carpet premiere event hosted by NFMLA at Sunset Studios in Hollywood on October 5th, 2019, sponsored by the City of Los Angeles with press opportunities, reception, after-party and a celebrity/industry Jury.
All selected videos will be featured on NFMLA’s social media:
Each of the following categories qualifies for all prizes including the Grand Prize:
Documentary, Narrative, Commercial and Music Video
Documentary, Narrative, Commercial and Music Video
NewFilmmakers Los Angeles (NFMLA) is a non-profit organization designed to showcase innovative works by emerging filmmakers from around the world, providing the Los Angeles community of entertainment professionals and film goers with a constant surge of monthly screening events. NFMLA provides a forum where filmmakers can be recognized for their contributions, have open audience discussions about their projects and connect with industry professionals for insight on distribution, production, acquisition and representation.
1. ELIGIBILITY: On Location: The Los Angeles Video Project (LAVP) Contest ("Contest") is open to adults who are at least 18 years or older as of the Start Date of the Contest (or of the age of majority in jurisdictions where the age of majority is over 18 years and where such Contests are legal and do not require registration) ("Contestants"). Contest is open to U.S. citizens and current legal resident aliens of the U.S., the District of Columbia and U.S. Military bases abroad. Contest is void in Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, all other U.S. Possessions, and wherever else restricted or prohibited by law. Contest is sponsored by NewFilmmakers Los Angeles, 1438 N. Gower St., Box 83, Hollywood, CA 90028 ("Sponsor") and administered by The City of Los Angeles (collectively, "Promotion Entities"). Employees, officers, directors, agents, representatives of Sponsor, the legal, promotion and advertising agencies of any aforementioned entity, and their immediate family members (defined as spouse, mother, father, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, grandparents and in-laws, regardless of where they live) and each person or entity connected with the production or administration of the Contest, and each parent company, affiliate, subsidiary, agent and representative of any aforementioned entity are not eligible. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. The Contest Submission Period begins on May 31st, 2019 at 12:00 AM Pacific Standard Time ("PST"), and ends on August 23rd, 2019 at 11:59 PM PST (the "Contest Submission Period"). ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED DURING THE CONTEST SUBMISSION PERIOD. By participating, Contestants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges and/or Sponsor, which are binding and final on matters relating to this Contest. You may enter as many Submissions as you like, but each Submission must be separately entered.
2. HOW TO ENTER: Submit online or by mail. What is your LA? Tell us your story in a narrative, documentary, commercial or animation format that positively highlights Los Angeles to the rest of the world.
We specifically recommend the Quicktime format at 1920x1080 resolution with audio, but using this format will not increase your chances of winning the contest. Please make sure you receive an UPLOAD confirmation via email once the upload of your video is complete. If you do not receive this email, your video was not uploaded successfully and you have not been entered. If you have any problems, please email Andrew@NFMLA.org. All contact information provided must be current, accurate and valid. Submissions must be received no later than August 23rd, 2019 at 11:59 PM PST according to Sponsor's time (PT). No other methods of delivery will be accepted. All entries received by the end of the Submission Period that are complete and otherwise qualified will be eligible to win ("Qualified Submissions"). Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Contestant it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or violating these Official Rules. All Submissions become the sole property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for incomplete, late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, void, corrupted, garbled, illegible, or unintelligible submissions and those Submissions are void and will not be accepted; nor is Sponsor responsible for any problems, bugs or malfunctions Contestants may encounter when seeking to enter their Submissions.
3. SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Tell us your story in a narrative, documentary, commercial or animation format in a way that positively highlights Los Angeles to the rest of the world. There are some legal limits on what you can do (see below):
Please, no personal attacks on anyone or any other discernable country, state or city. Videos must be appropriate for a broad audience since we're promoting Los Angeles domestically as well as internationally. No video may depict harmful or illegal activity or substances, or offensive subject matter as determined at our sole discretion. No video shall portray Los Angeles in a negative light. Videos must also be original works of authorship. By entering, you warrant that your video does not infringe any third party's rights, and that you have obtained any necessary permissions from all relevant third parties including film permits and where applicable, union contracts to submit the Submission. You may not use in your video without properly executed releases, parties who: 1) are represented under contract (e.g., by a talent agent or manager) that would limit or impair our ability to show the video in any media form; 2) have an acting or modeling contract that would make their appearance in the video a violation of any third party rights; 3) are under a merchandising agreement; or 4) are under any other contractual relationship, including but not limited to guild and/or union memberships, that may prohibit them from participating fully in this promotion, or from allowing us to use the video online, in television media and other forms of distribution at our discretion. Videos may be subject to disqualification if Sponsor reasonably believes there is third party content not owned by the Contestant that may be the subject of copyright protection or for any other reason at Sponsor's reasonable discretion. Content that may not be used without prior permission includes, but is not limited to photographic images downloaded from public sources; drawing or images; music of any kind that is not in the public domain (i.e., any music produced after 1926); and voice-over material. Contestant is solely responsible for securing permission to use any copyrighted material and may be required, upon request, to submit proof of ownership or license to Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to exclude any Submission that it believes, in its sole discretion, doesn't meet the above criteria or for any other reason at Sponsor's reasonable discretion. Sponsor cannot offer personalized feedback or legal advice. Entrants can email us at Andrew@nfmla.org.
5. JUDGING: All entries will be prescreened to make certain they are qualified, according to the Submission Guidelines, entry qualifications ("Qualified Submissions"). A panel of qualified judges from Sponsor will select up to 44 finalists, based upon the judging criteria outlined below in the First Round section of these rules, by a panel of qualified judges from Sponsor and Promotion Entities. The entry with the overall highest score will be deemed the Grand Prize Winner. All 44 entries will proceed to the final round of judging and compete for the remaining prizes. At any time before, during or after the Contest Period, Sponsor and Promotion Entities may, in their discretion, choose to post or distribute one or more Submissions, their creator's name and profile information online (including websites, Facebook pages, Twitter feeds, YouTube channels and third-party websites) for promotional and entertainment purposes only. Posting of this/these Submission(s) will not mean that said Submissions are eligible to win or are a Finalist or Selected Contestant. First Round: On or around [August 23rd, 2019] ("Screening, Grand Prize and First Place Award Selection"), Qualified Submissions will be reviewed and scored by a panel of qualified judges, according to the following criteria, on a 100-point scale: Visual quality/production value (25 points) Creativity/originality (25 points) Relevancy; Effectively communicates topic (25 points) Passion/enthusiasm (25 points) Grand Prize: The single entry from among both categories with the highest score judged solely by contest representatives shall be deemed the Grand Prize Winner. This winner will not be announced until Sponsor's Premiere, as outlined below. First Place Awards: The single entry from each category with the highest score judged by a panel of qualified judges shall be deemed the First Place Award winners. These two winners will not be announced until Sponsor's Premiere, as outlined below. All Finalists, including the Grand Prize winner and First Place Award winners, will be debuted at the [ON LOCATION: THE LOS ANGELES VIDEO PROJECT] ("Premiere"). Up to forty (44) Qualified Submissions (including the Grand Prize and First Place Award winners) will be selected as finalists to move to the Second Round of judging ("Finalists") in the following manner. Up to 22 Finalists will be selected as Finalists in Category 1; Up to 22 Finalists will be selected as Finalists in Category 2. Before public posting, Sponsor reserves the right to edit the Finalist Video, for formatting or other reasonable purpose, and may embed its logo or other trademarks in the Video. Finalists will be notified by phone or e-mail on or about [August 26th, 2019] and will be required to respond (as directed) to notification within forty-eight (48) hours of attempted notification. The failure to respond timely to the notification may result in forfeiture of the Prizes; and, in such case, Sponsor may choose the next highest scoring entry from among the remaining eligible entries. Finalists also may be sent an affidavit of eligibility / liability / publicity release ("Release"). Unless restricted by law, each Selected Contestant will be required to complete and return the Release within forty-eight (48) hours of the date notice is sent. Although the Grand Prize and First Place winners will have been selected at this point, no Finalist will be notified that a prize has been awarded. Winners will only be announced at the Premiere, as outlined below. Finalists' Submissions may be posted on Sponsor's and Promotion Entities or third party sites, prior to and following the premiere. Sponsor reserves the right to distribute or display the Finalists' videos in any media and on any website, including on its website, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages. Contestants understand that users of these sites may share, comment on (including negatively) and re-post their Submissions. Any requests by Contestants to have a Submission removed from consideration will be accommodated to the extent practically possible. Sponsor is not responsible for third party re-posting of Submissions. Second Round: Audience Awards. On or around [October 5th, 2019], all Finalists, including the First Place and Grand Prize winners, will be debuted at the Premiere. The public will be invited to view and vote for their favorite Videos at the Premiere. The Submission with the most votes in each category will win the "Audience" Award. Ballots will be cast at the Premiere immediately after the videos are shown to the public. At the Premiere, the Grand Prize winner scored earlier will be announced, along with the First Place Winners (collectively "Selected Contestants"). The Audience Winner will be announced at the after party. In the event of a tie during qualified judging, the entries will be rescored. In the event of a tie for the Audience Award, the tying entries will be re-judged by panel of qualified judges and a winner determined. The name, profile and Video of Selected Contestants may be announced and posted on Sponsor's and Promotion Entities website(s) and social media pages, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, on or around [October 14th, 2019] and may potentially be aired internationally, in Sponsor's and Promotion Entities discretion.
6. LICENSE: As a condition entering the Contest and potentially receiving any prize, all Contestants hereby grant a One Hundred Eighty (180) day exclusive irrevocable worldwide license to Sponsor and Promotion Entities after which time, Sponsor and Promotion Entities shall retain a perpetual non-exclusive license to use, release, broadcast, edit, promote and otherwise exploit the submitted video in any and all media throughout the world, in perpetuity, for any purpose whatsoever, without any additional compensation, the term of which shall be the entire life of the copyright. Should any Contestant be unwilling or otherwise unable to comply with the terms and conditions of these rules, or provide permissions and or releases or otherwise, cannot accept or receive the prize for any reason, Contestants with the next highest score will be chosen from the remaining entries until one who is able to meet all requirements can be selected in Sponsor's sole discretion. All potential prize winners must provide Sponsor with all signatures on required paperwork and return all documents in a timely manner as required pursuant to these Official Rules in order to be eligible to receive the prize. Contestants may not sell, assign or transfer any of their rights in their Submissions under these Official Rules. CONTESTANTS WILL NOT BE SPECIFICALLY PAID FOR THEIR SUBMISSIONS or for granting Sponsor any of the rights required under these rules. While Sponsor and Promotion Entities will seek to post video Submissions in the form as provided at the time of entry, all Contestants agree that due to technical limitations, videos may be altered from their original form and that Sponsor and Promotion Entities reserve the right to re-shoot, edit or modify the Submission in its sole discretion, including replacing any voiceover, soundtrack or music or adding its logo or other trademarks. Sponsor and Promotion Entities may post videos in any order or sequence, with or without commentary, and may select the excerpt of video to serve as a thumbnail in its sole discretion.
7. PRIZES: One (1) Grand Prize: If eligible under these Official Rules, one (1) Grand Prize Selected Contestant will receive:
In the event that the services are not redeemed or used or partially used, no cash equivalent can be redeemed. In the event that the Selected Contestant cannot or does not desire to redeem Grand Prize as provided herein for any reason, Selected Contestant will forfeit his or her Prize. The Selected Contestant may be required to sign an additional agreement with prize sponsor(s) upon winning the Prize(s), including but not limited to time limitations for redemption. Approximate retail value ("ARV") of the Grand Prize is US $47,796.00.
Two (2) First Place Prizes: If eligible under these Official Rules, up to two (2) First Place Selected Contestants, one (1) in each Category, will each receive:
In the event that the services are not redeemed or used or partially used, no cash equivalent can be redeemed. In the event that the Selected Contestant cannot or does not desire to redeem First Place Prize as provided herein for any reason, Selected Contestant will forfeit his or her Prize. The Selected Contestant may be required to sign an additional agreement with prize sponsor(s) upon winning the Prize(s), including but not limited to time limitations for redemption. Approximate retail value ("ARV") of each First Place Prize is US $6,388.00.
Two (2) Audience Award Prizes: If eligible under these Official Rules, up to two (2) Audience Award Selected Contestants, one (1) in each Category, will each receive:
In the event that the services are not redeemed or used or partially used, no cash equivalent can be redeemed. In the event that the Selected Contestant cannot or does not desire to redeem Audience Award Prize as provided herein for any reason, Selected Contestant will forfeit his or her Prize. The Selected Contestant may be required to sign an additional agreement with prize sponsor(s) upon winning the Prize(s), including but not limited to time limitations for redemption. Approximate retail value ("ARV") of each Audience Award Prize is US $599.00.
Total ARV of Prizes: US $61,170.00. For all prizes, all federal, state and local taxes and other expenses in connection with the prize are the sole responsibility of the Selected Contestant. Selected Contestants are solely responsible for any other unspecified expenses related to prize. All activities related to the prize, are at the Selected Contestants' own risk and subject to whatever restrictions are imposed by the entities that govern activities. Selected Contestants not entitled to any surplus between actual retail value of prize and stated ARV and any difference between stated ARV and actual value of the prize will not be awarded. No substitution, transfer, or cash redemption of prize, provided however that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value should the advertised prize become unavailable for any reason. In the event of noncompliance with the foregoing requirements or if prize notification is returned as undeliverable, prize will be forfeited and, at Sponsor's discretion, an alternate Selected Contestant will be selected. Prizes will be delivered in person at the event or by U.S. Mail or carrier (i.e., FEDEX, UPS), within Sponsor's sole discretion, to the address provided by the Contestant. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, misdirected or undelivered Prizes.
8. CONDITIONS: Contest is subject to these Official Rules. By participating, Contestants agree: (i) to be bound by these complete Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor which shall be final and binding; and (ii) to waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Contest or these Official Rules, except where prohibited by law. By accepting a prize, Selected Contestant agrees to release Promotion Entities and any and all employees, agents, and assigns of each from any and all liability, loss or damage arising from or in connection with awarding, receipt and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any prize-related activities. Promotion Entities and any and all employees, agents, and assigns of each shall not be liable for: (i) telephone system, telephone or computer hardware, software or other technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, delays or transmission errors; (ii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iii) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including death caused by the prize or resulting from acceptance, possession or use of a prize, or from participation in the Contest; or (iv) any printing, typographical, administrative or technological errors in any materials associated with the Contest. Sponsor disclaims any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participating in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or suspend the Contest, in its sole discretion, should it receive fewer than 40 entries, or receive no entries that have a judged score above 60 points, or due to circumstances beyond its control, including natural disasters. In the event of cancellation of the Contest, each Contestant will receive a NewFilmmakers LA Yearly Individual Membership, valued at $75 USD. Submissions will not be returned and may be destroyed, but are still subject to the license contained herein by Sponsor. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines such entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, or any other unfair playing practices of intending to annoy, abuse, threaten, undermine or harass any other players or Sponsor representatives. Grand Prize winner may not redeem services for cash and may be subject to a background check before services will be granted. Grand Prize winner must abide by all guidelines set forth by all prize sponsors or risk forfeiture of prize. In the event that the service portion of the prize is not used or is revoked for cause or for reasons out of control of Sponsor, Grand Prize is limited to cash of $500.00 and no substitute prize will be given. The internal laws of the State of California will govern disputes regarding these Official Rules and/or this Contest and venue shall be Los Angeles County, California only. Sponsor is not responsible and shall not be held liable, and your entry may be disqualified and may not be considered for any Prize, should your Submission be removed from any third-party video hosting site, such as YouTube, for any reason (including without limitation DMCA take-down), or should your Submission be unavailable for any reason during the Public Voting Period. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest should a virus, bug, computer problem, unauthorized intervention or other causes beyond Sponsor's control, corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the Contest. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines such entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest in any way by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices of intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other players or Sponsor representatives. Use of automated entry devices or programs is prohibited. Any attempts to access the site, enter the Contest or increase votes or views via a bot script, device or brute-force attack will result in disqualification, including that IP address becoming ineligible for the entire Contest. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY FEES) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
9. PUBLICITY: Sponsor reserves the right to use the Submissions to the Contest for publicity purposes prior to, during, or after the Contest end date, in any media, and to use the name, likeness, hometown name, of any Contestant, including all or part of their video throughout the world, in perpetuity, without any compensation or prior review unless specifically prohibited by law. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of Selected Contestant, and Contestants may be issued an IRS Form 1099 for the ARV of any awarded prize.
10. WAIVER OF JURY TRIAL: Except as prohibited by applicable law and as a condition of participating in this Contest, each Contestant hereby irrevocably and perpetually waives any right s/he may have to a trial by jury in respect of any litigation directly or indirectly arising out of, under or in connection with this contest, any document or agreement entered into in connection herewith, any prize available in connection herewith, and any of the transactions contemplated hereby or thereby.
12. OFFICIAL RULES and WINNERS LIST: For a copy of these Official Rules or of the winner(s), send your request by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Request must be received by [December 31, 2019].
You may enter as many films as you'd like so long as they meet our guidelines above. To submit your project, complete our submission form by clicking the SUBMIT NOW button below:Submit Film
If you have any questions about the program or about submitting your film, please contact:
Outreach Director | NewFilmmakers Los Angeles (NFMLA)